The terms and conditions of our holidays are outlined here.
Terms of contract
When we write to you accepting a booking for a place on a Venture, there will be an agreement between: CPAS (Church Pastoral Aid Society), at CPAS, Sovereign Court One, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ ("we" or "us"), and the Member ("you"), and the parent or guardian of the Member signing the form for the benefit of the Member ("your parent or guardian"), as follows:
1. We will provide full board, accommodation and outings at the place, for the period and at the price set out in our brochure and on our website ("the Programme") for the Venture on which you have been accepted ("the Venture"), unless we told you before we accepted your booking that there would be changes. (In the event that there is any difference between statements made in our main brochure and on our central website, the statements made on our central website at www.ventures.org.uk will apply and any other statement shall be disregarded.) The Venture starts with the evening meal on the day on which the Venture begins, and ends with breakfast on the day on which the Venture ends.
2. We agree to provide the activities described in the Programme on the Venture, unless we told you before we accepted your booking that there would be changes. There is, however, no guarantee that every member of a Venture will be able to do all the activities described.
3. We may cancel the Venture if:
a. the minimum number of members required for the Venture to take place have not booked a place on the Venture 10 weeks before it is due to begin, provided that we have told you of such cancellation not less than 8 weeks before the Venture is due to begin; or
b. unusual and unforeseen circumstances arise which are beyond our control. In the event of such cancellation, we agree to return to you the deposit and any other part of the Venture price already paid.
4. We undertake that the Leaders of the Venture named in the Programme ("the Leaders") and the other voluntary workers on the Venture will exercise reasonable care in looking after you during the Venture.
5. Subject to conditions 2, 3, 11 and 17, we will be liable to you or your parent or guardian for any damage caused to you or your parent or guardian by any failure to perform this Agreement or the improper performance of this Agreement unless the failure or the improper performance is due neither to our fault nor to a fault of the Leaders or other voluntary workers nor to the fault of a supplier of services engaged by us or the Leaders because (a) the failures which occur in the performance of the Agreement are attributable to you or your parent or guardian, or (b) such failures are attributable to a third party unconnected with the provision of the services contracted for, and are unforeseeable or unavoidable, or (c) such failures are due to (i) unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond the control of us or the Leaders, the consequences of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, or (in) an event which neither we nor the Leaders nor a supplier of services engaged by us or the Leaders, even with all due care, could foresee or forestall. Subject to this, neither we, nor our employees, agents and subcontractors, nor the Leaders or other voluntary workers shall be liable to compensate you and/or your parent or guardian in respect of any acts or omissions relating to the performance of this Agreement.
6. You, or your parent or guardian, agree to pay to us the balance of the price of the Venture not less than 8 weeks before the Venture is due to begin. Payment should be made by cheque (or other money order) made out to "CPAS Ventures". The balance is made up of the total price of the Venture stated in the Programme less the initial deposit sent with the booking form. This balance shall be sent to the Leaders, unless other directions for payment are given by or on behalf of the Leaders. In the event of nonpayment by the due date, we or the Leaders may cancel this Agreement forthwith.
7. You may cancel your place on the Venture by notifying the Leaders or their nominee in writing at any time before the balance of the price of the Venture is due. In the event of such cancellation, the initial deposit will be forfeited unless we or the Leaders decide otherwise. If you wish to cancel your place on the Venture on or after the date when the balance of the price of the Venture is due, you and your parent or guardian will owe us 50% of full fees if less than 6 weeks' notice in writing is given, and 75% of full fees if less than 3 weeks' notice in writing is given. If you cancel on or after the start date of the Venture, you will owe us the full fees.
8. If prior to the commencement of the Venture we become aware of any fact or matter that leads us to believe that your presence at the Venture will or may be incompatible with the running of the Venture or the wellbeing of any other person or persons who will be present at the Venture, we in our absolute discretion may terminate this Agreement and you will not be able to attend the Venture. If this Agreement is terminated pursuant to this Condition we will return to you the deposit and any other part of the Venture price already paid.
9. During the Venture, you and your parent or guardian agree to co-operate with the Leaders and any other person having authority at the Venture. In the event of you causing injury to any other person or damage to any property or being wilfully disobedient at any time during the Venture or if the Leaders have any reason to believe that your continued presence at the Venture is or may be incompatible with the running of the Venture or the wellbeing of any other person or persons present at the Venture, the Leaders (or any person having authority under them) may exercise such reasonable discipline as is considered by them to be appropriate, and/or we and/or the Leaders may terminate this Agreement with immediate effect. In the event of this Agreement being terminated under this Condition, your parent or guardian shall, on being told of the termination, at their own expense collect you from the Venture forthwith, or make such arrangements for your collection as are necessary to remove you from the Venture site.
10. If, while you are at the Venture, you believe that we have failed to comply with the terms of this Agreement, you or your parent or guardian should inform the Leaders in writing at the earliest opportunity that you have to do so. You or your parent or guardian should also inform us of such failure in writing to our registered address as soon as you can and at the latest within 7 days after you return from the Venture.
11. If you or your parent or guardian suffer loss or damage (other than personal injury) for which compensation is payable by reason of the non-performance or improper performance of this Agreement, the amount of such compensation shall be limited to the price of the Venture.
12. We take the issue of child safety very seriously, and this includes the use of images of children. We use images of children in publications, videos and on websites, but we ensure children remain unidentifiable (We only use first names). The images will be used only for CPAS purposes and the identity of your child will be protected. Images may also be distributed to other participants on the Venture that your child has attended. We use photographs and video taken during Ventures in our publicity and marketing materials (which include print, web and video media). By accepting the booking contract with CPAS you agree that we may publish images of your child in our promotional materials. If you have any concern about this you should communicate this by contacting the overall leader of the Venture which your child will attend two weeks before the Venture starts.
Additional Terms That Apply To Ventures Taking Place Outside The United Kingdom
13. Ventures taking place outside the United Kingdom are subject to the implied terms, conditions and warranties stipulated and the liability imposed by the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 ("the Regulations").
a. Save as provided by the Regulations, neither we, nor our employees, agents and subcontractors, nor the Leaders, nor any other voluntary workers shall be liable to compensate you and/or your parent or guardian in respect of any breach of the terms of this Agreement or in respect of any acts or omissions relating to the performance of this Agreement.
b. Money paid to us under this Agreement will be held for you by a trustee in accordance with regulation 20 of the Regulations.
14. For Ventures taking place outside the United Kingdom, we agree to provide transport as described in the Programme to and from the Venture site, from the point of departure and to the point of return on the dates and at the times which will be notified to you, and, except where notified, to provide meals at the usual times during the course of the journey.
15. The balance of the price is due on the date stated for payment for the Venture in the Programme. If no date is stated, the date stated in Condition 6 applies.
16. You or your parent or guardian agrees, subject to the terms implied into this Agreement by Regulation 12 of the Regulations, that the price of the Venture may be revised as a result of variations in transportation costs (including the cost of fuel) or fluctuations in the exchange rates that have been applied in calculating the price of the Venture. The prices of our Ventures abroad have been fixed according to the following exchange rates: 1.49 Swiss francs to £1; 1.10 Euro to £1. No such price revision will be made 30 days (or less) before the date of departure for the Venture and where the proposed upward revision of the price is for an amount equivalent to 2% or more of the price of the Venture (excluding insurance premiums and amendment charges), we will absorb the first 2% of the increase. Revisions in the price of the Venture will be calculated by dividing the difference in cost to us caused by the variation(s) concerned by the number of people (including voluntary workers) that we are informed by the Leaders will be taking part in the Venture.
17. In the event of you or your parent or guardian suffering loss or damage while you are being carried by sea by reason of the non-performance or improper performance of this Agreement, the amount of any compensation payable shall be limited to the amount specified in the Athens Convention of 1974 on the Carriage of Passengers by Sea.
Immunity Of Leaders And Voluntary Workers
18. You agree that the Leaders and other voluntary workers may enforce for their own benefit the final sentence of condition 5 and of conditions 11, 13a and 17 and that section 1 of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 applies to confer such benefit on the Leaders and other voluntary workers. Cancellation If you want to cancel your place on a Venture before final fees are due, you will lose your £30 deposit. If you cancel on or after the date when the balance is due, you will owe us a proportion of fees (see paragraphs 3 and 7 of the Terms of Contract). If at the time of cancellation you have already paid more than you need to, we will refund the balance. Insurance A limited amount of insurance cover is included in the price of the Venture, but please make sure that personal items are covered by your own insurance. Ventures insurance only covers theft from locked rooms or cars, or accidental damage, and an excess is payable on all claims. In the light of our cancellation charges (see above), we recommend that you safeguard your possible loss of part or all of your holiday cost due to cancellation or curtailment by taking out cancellation and /or travel insurance. Details of one possible provider can be found at www.freetimetravelinsurance.com
Church Pastoral Aid Society
A company limited by guarantee, registered in England no 2673220
Registered office: CPAS, Sovereign Court One, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ
Registered charity no 1007820 (England & Wales)
Last updated December 2015